1.29.2014

How to Kill a Horse available on iTunes, CDbaby, Amazon

AVAILABLE

"I think this is a really fine album. I hadn't heard the Brothers Dege before and I am mightily impressed by both the music and the performances here. It's not easy to classify the music. It is dominated by two really striking sounds – the pained and impassioned vocals and the resonator guitar. There is some percussion and other backing and a little harmony, but the production is generally quite spare which gives it real impact. The slide work on the guitar creates a traditional feel but the songs themselves are more modern Americana in tone and the fusion of styles coupled with great instrumental work and singing makes for something really special. There is a variety of tempi and some songs have a real stomping beat, but the music is probably best summed up by the contrast between the extraordinarily beautiful cover picture and the disturbing title of the album. The excellent title song is allegorical, pained and deeply haunting and many others are in a similar vein. The more I listen to this album, the more I like it. It's not a barrel of laughs but it has real depth and quality and I'll be playing it for a long time to come, I suspect. Very warmly recommended." -Sid Nuncius

No comments: